Since the rise of solar panels, much research and development has been performed by solar panel manufacturers across the globe, each hoping to increase the efficiency of their products and their product offering. Solar roof tiles (also referred to as solar shingles) are a product of this research and design, allowing consumers to finally invest in solar panels that can be both integral to a building and easy on the eye.
Solar roof tiles are now widely available from companies offering solar energy systems for the home. They are even provided in a number of shapes and sizes so they can be blended with existing roof tiles as and when required. Large solar tiles are also available and are more commonly found on large commercial buildings where fitting small tiles wouldn’t be an option.
Different variations of solar roof tiles are available. Thin film options are available when rigid solar tiles aren’t suited to a particular property. These film varieties can be stapled over an existing asphalt rooftop and curved into the desired shape.
The Benefits of Solar Roof Tiles
The addition of solar roof tiles to a home can provide the following benefits:
- Can be installed quicker than traditional solar panels under most circumstances.
- Capable of generating similar levels of power as a traditional solar panel.
- Makes solar panels more integral to the structure of a roof.
- Eliminates the cost of having to purchase traditional slate tiles when a solar panel may be fixed on top of these.
- Features an appearance that’s easier on the eye and fits flush with existing tiles.
- Eliminates the need for solar panels to be mounted on rails. These rails need to be fixed to a traditional roof before installing solar panels.